Tuesday 14 September 2010

Weight Loss For The Wedding!


Weight loss. Not a problem for some but a big problem for others.

The question that most brides ask themselves before buying a wedding dress is 'Should I lose weight for my big day?'.

This same question entered my mind almost as soon as my husband-to-be proposed. I was left with a positive feeling that I could certainly look like some sort of catwalk model by the time we wed.

The reality is now, somewhat, looking different!

The idea that you, as a bride, needs to lose weight before your wedding day is widespread throughout every country, city and town in the world. You hear women talking about it on various bridal forums, sometimes (and this has happened personally), you may even get asked by a 'loving' relative or friend if you plan to lose weight for your wedding day!

With this pressure coming from nearly every angle you have to ask yourself why you want to lose weight for that one day if you are relatively content or happy with the current weight you are? Is there some sort of pretence we feel we must adhere to as we will be admired from every conceivable angle whilst adorning your beautiful dress?

I have always had a weight problem, the problem being I love my food and I love to eat. Simple. I'm certainly not obese or unsightly, but I could do with cutting down on the junk food in order to cut down on my flabby bits of fat!

At first I felt like I needed to lose weight in order to look nice in my dress, well in any dress really! I certainly didn't want to look like a sugar plum fairy wallowing down the aisle!

I realised I needed to lose a couple of stone at least to feel comfortable with myself. The thought did cross my mind that if I haven't lost this weight so far in my life that it wasn't hopeful that I would lose it in the 12 months I had til my wedding.

What would change? Would I get the motivation I needed just because I didn't want to look like 'me' on my wedding day?

So, with many questions in tow I started a well know health (diet) plan down at my local village hall.

It would cost me £20.00 a month to join but I felt sure that it was worth every penny if it helped to acheive the 'perfect body' for my perfect day.

Once I started to follow the diet I lost weight quickly and healthily. I was eating fruit and veg like there was no tomorrow and limiting my 'junk' food intake to a cope-able minimum.

I felt good, I felt healthy. I was starting to look better and feel much more confident in myself.

By the time two months had past I had lost 2 stone, which was amazing by any ones standards considering I was still eating a fair amount.

Then it happened. I lost my motivation. As usual.

Now a further two months down the line I have pretty much put all the weight back on. Sure I had a great time doing it;) But it has left me worried and concerned about how I will look in my dress.

Luckily I didn't order my dress until a week or so ago so I know it will fit me at my current weight but I somehow feel like I should lose weight just to try and make some sort of effort at feeling how I did previously. I want to feel confident and beautiful on my wedding day. Not fat, frumpy and sad with my appearance!

I keep wondering if my weight really and truely matters, as afterall my partner is marrying me the way I am. I have always been curvy and he loves that about me. Maybe it is just myself who I feel I have to answer to. But should I really feel guilty for not losing weight for the most important day of my life?

Weight isn't really that important in the whole wedding planning process and yet nearly every bride feels as though they have to be at their most perfect weight in order for them to be presentable on that day.

Whether or not I decide again to try and lose weight for my big day is still a question I am pondering myself. But the question is, will you try and lose weight for your wedding day and if so, what is the real reason behind this decision?

1 comment:

  1. Explore trending Bridal wear like designer saree,bridal lehenga,blouse lehenga, gowns..here are some of the most unique and trendy colors of bridal wear,Often chosen by indian bride.

    ReplyDelete