Friday 10 September 2010

Picking 'The' Dress!


So, when it comes to finding a wedding dress, your wedding dress, it seems that every girl wants to find that 'special one' which just makes you gleam with pride and joy when you fit it on.

Initially, I wasn't convinced that any wedding dress would look good on me. I'm not exactly a girly girl, I have alternative tastes and I like different things but when it came to my wedding dress, strangely, I wanted something traditional.

I had decided that I wanted to wear ivory as I thought this would suit my pale complexion the best (this is what I was told anyway!). I had also decided that I wanted my dress to include a fitted bust and lace-up back with boning to ensure it sucked and tucked me in at the right places!

The bottom of the skirt was decidedly going to be big, but not too big. I wanted wedding dress not princess dress!

Although I had a clear image of the style of dress I desired, I really had no clue if this type of dress would suit my figure.

Then the question came, what if I fall in love with a dress that I dislike?

Now, strange as that question may be, I am 99.9% sure that some bride, somewhere, has gone through this turmoil and been completely dumbstruck by her conflicting feelings.

For example, you have a style, an image of your 'dream' dress fixed firmly in your mind. You go to a bridal shop and after fitting on nearly every single dress in the store you find the 'one'.

The only probably is you don't actually love this dress.

It looks superb on, fits like a glove, hugs your figure perfectly, shows your best assets and has your mother crying by just the mere sight of it on her precise daughter. You like it to, you can see it is, in a word, perfect for you. But on the other hand your not crazy about it, and you find yourself looking around other dresses on the rails in desperation...this can't be the only dress that suits me!!

This begs the question, 'what's actually wrong with it?'.

Well, the answer is simple, there is nothing wrong with it, but you know there is nothing 'right' about it when you simply don't experience that feeling that every other bride seems to harp on about. Butterflies tickling your tummy in pure pleasure and excitement just thinking about how beautiful you will look on your wedding day in it. You, instead, seem somehow indifferent about the whole situation.

A sensible bride, would indeed, I'm positive buy the dress that suits her so heavenly. Despite the fact that she doesn't feel that 'special' feeling when she fits it on.

A thoughtful bride would perhaps ponder other dresses, try on a few more until she is convinced that the dress that so stunningly suits her, is in fact the 'one' and ignores her gut reaction.

A rebellious bride would not buy the dress. Instead she would search until she finds an alternative dress that she loves the look of, even if it doesn't quite suit her at her best.

Now which bride would be the most popular I wonder? Would more people turn into the sensible bride, treating her wedding day as some sort of business deal, every little detail to be perfect and correct in every single way or would the majority of people be that rebellious bride that doesn't go by the book, instead opting for something she truly loves and desires.

I would bet that, unfortunately, most brides would turn into Mrs Sensible. This is not to impose on that particular brides personality or substance, but simple in a desperate attempt to be the bride that is beautifully perfect and pristine I believe it may be the case that the majority of brides actually wants her dress to please others, not herself.

Maybe we should just wear whatever dress we want, not because it suits our figure, or is the right colour for our skin complexion but just because we love it. We get that feeling in the pit of our stomach that just tells us that this dress is the one. That dress is the dress you most desire, and after all it is your wedding day. The first day of the rest of your life. Maybe we should all just start as we mean to go on?

No comments:

Post a Comment